Sunday 12 January 2014

Paintings of orchids.

Here are two of my paintings of orchids. These have been done in my usual vibrant colourful style. The paintings are based on some photos I took last summer at a display in a garden I visited. I also now have a good collection of orchids in my conservatory. They are such amazing plants, that bloom for ages, but need very little attention or watering. I will be doing several more paintings based on these.


I have painted the pale pink orchid in a way that shows off the subtle changes of colour, and reflects the deeper pink background. The swirling pinks in the background also draws your eye around the painting. I have used chromacolour, which is a type of liquid acrylic.


My second orchid painting has been painted in a similar style. I have used a purple background as strong contrast to the soft yellow flowers.


Here are two close up sections so you can see the technique used. I have worked in small dabs of overlaid paint, to build up texture and detail.



Both designs have been made in to greetings cards. I sell a range of my floral cards at craft fairs and through florists, garden centres and shops. 

You can buy these cards, at a good discount,  in my Etsy shop by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment